Becoming a Board Member
To become a member of a local board of education in New Jersey, you must:
- Be able to read and write
- Hold U.S. citizenship and one year's residency within the school district
- Be registered to vote in the district before filing the nominating petition
- Have no interest in any contract with, or claim against, the board
- Not hold office as mayor or member of the municipal governing body
- Not simultaneously hold two elective offices
- Not be disqualified from membership for the conviction of certain crimes (Within 30 days of election or appointment to the board, a member must undergo a criminal history background investigation through the state Department of Education.)
Fingerprinting for Board Members
The State of New Jersey has partnered with Sagem Morpho to provide livescan fingerprinting for any individuals seeking to volunteer or work in a public school district. Appointments for fingerprinting may be scheduled with Morpho Track by phone at (877) 503-5981 or online at www.bioapplicant.com/nj The cost for the livescan fingerprinting is $67.50 payable by credit/debit card or money order. Payment is required at the time of scheduling.
Prior to scheduling your appointment you will need to download and print the Universal Fingerprinting Form (Universal Fingerprinting Form – Board Members). This form contains information regarding our district that you need to provide to Morpho Track to ensure that your fingerprint results are returned to our office. You will need to bring the completed form along with identification (please see the acceptable ID requirements listed on the Universal Fingerprinting Form) to your scheduled appointment.
Upon completion of your appointment you will need to provide the State of New Jersey with approval for them to conduct your background check. This can be done by visiting the Criminal History Review Unit’s website at www.nj.gov./education/educators/crimhist/ and following the instructions listed on the website. There is an $11.00 fee charged by the State of New Jersey for this service.
Should you have any questions regarding the fingerprinting process please contact Kate McEntee, at (856) 467-3300 ext. 4323.